Your garage door is one of the most vulnerable entry points to your home. In fact, according to the FBI, garage doors are the second most common point of entry for burglars. That’s why it’s so important to take steps to improve your garage door security.
Here are some practical tips to help you do just that:
- Install robust locks. A good quality deadbolt lock is a must-have for any garage door. You should also consider installing a sliding bar lock or garage door defender to prevent the door from being opened from the outside.
- Reinforce garage door frames. The garage door frame is a weak point in many garage door security systems. You can improve the security of your garage door by reinforcing the frame with steel braces.
- Utilize smart security features. There are a number of smart security features available that can help to improve the security of your garage door. These features can include motion sensors, door alarms, and even remote monitoring.
In addition to these practical tips, there are a few other things you can do to improve the security of your garage door:
- Keep your garage door closed. This may seem like a no-brainer, but it’s important to make sure your garage door is closed and locked whenever you’re not home.
- Don’t leave your garage door opener in your car. If a thief steals your garage door opener, they can use it to open your garage door and gain access to your home.
- Be aware of your surroundings. If you see someone lurking around your garage, don’t hesitate to call the police.
By following these tips, you can help to make your garage door a less attractive target for burglars and keep your home safe.
Here are some additional tips to help you improve your garage door security:
- Install security cameras. Security cameras can help you to deter burglars and provide you with footage of any break-ins that do occur.
- Trim your bushes and trees. Bushes and trees that grow too close to your garage can provide cover for burglars. Make sure to trim them back so that they don’t obstruct your view of your garage door.
- Don’t leave valuables in your garage. If you have to store valuables in your garage, make sure they’re out of sight and locked away.
- Change your garage door opener codes regularly. This will make it more difficult for burglars to gain access to your garage if they’ve stolen your opener.
By following these tips, you can help to make your garage door a more secure entry point to your home.